Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Latest Fascination


Recently I’ve become quite fascinated with performing pull-ups.  Why?  Because in my estimation this particular move is the end all/be all of true fitness.   

I am in the gym for multiple hours during any given week.  And how many people do I see performing pull ups?  Two. Yep. That’s it.  The same two people.  I look around the gym and it’s loaded with folks doing bench presses and bicep curls all day.  Pull ups? Just those two dudes. 

I openly admit to every one of you out there….I cannot do an unassisted pull up.  And I’m not happy about my inadequacy.  So guess what, this is going to change.  

I know of some personal trainers who scoff at the assisted pull up machine.  However, don’t be so quick to dismiss this little gem if used properly.  The key I’ve found is to lessen the assist weight when you can perform 3 sets of 8 pull ups.  Don’t stay at the same assist level.  Challenge your muscles.  I am also working on strengthening my back muscles. For instance, bent over rows with a barbell or rows with dumbbells.  Other muscle groups I’m targeting are my forearms, wrists and my grip.  To strengthen my forearms and wrists I perform wrist rotations with dumbbells and wrist curls with a bar.  To help my grip I grab two 25 weight plates and hold it with just my thumb and finger tips. Simple yet effective.  

I invite everyone to join me in my latest fascination and share your story.  If you have yet to master a pull up, tell me how you’re progressing.  How are you strengthening your body to perform this challenging move?  And to the folks that do perform pull ups as part of an exercise routine, I ask that you share some tips and encouragement.  

To your health, 

Michelle

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment